Royals finish season strong with 8-0 win over Falcons

Royals finish season strong with 8-0 win over Falcons

The Royals had some ground to cover.

A win would see them level on points with Capilano, but their goal difference was 11 less than that of the Blues. As it turns out, the Blues won both of their matches at the weekend by two goals, meaning that the Royals had to score 15 to have any chance of coming first.  It was an unbelievable long shot, an insurmountable mountain to climb, for the potential reward of an automatic berth at the CCAA National Championship. In all likelihood the Royals would take the traditional route, fighting for their spot at nationals in the upcoming PACWEST Championships. But hey, it doesn't hurt to try, right? It could be fun.

The Royals went out and scored eight goals. It was a statement. A shot across the bow of the league leaders, the team that the Royals will face on Saturday should they emerge from Friday's semi-final with a win.

It didn't take them long to get going. The Royals were awarded a corner kick in the second minute. Race Williams fired a cross into the box, and Tomi Fagbongbe was on the end of it to open the scoring. Less than sixty seconds later, Taylor Richardson found himself all alone with the ball near the top of the box, and unleashed a strike that found its way into the top corner.

It took the Falcons 15 minutes to respond with a shot on target, which was handled easily by Jared Horvath

A few minutes after Horvath's first save, Race Williams found a lane to run into down the right wing. His first effort was parried away, but he buried his own rebound to give the Royals a three-goal lead inside 20 minutes. 

Another few minutes passed, and Tomi Fagbongbe charged down an aerial ball that bounced once before being fired into the net for Fagbongbe's second of the night. Not to be outdone, Williams earned his second of the night five minutes later. The score was 5-0, and the game had not hit the half-hour mark.

The game then settled down briefly, before Fagbongbe hit the far post with a great strike from the right-hand side in the final minute of the first half.

The Falcons pressed hard to open the second but couldn't quite find a path to goal. 20 minutes of Langara offense lead to nothing, and in the 65th minute, Mudiwa Shoniwa scored his first goal as a Royal to make it a 6-0 game. 

Tomi deserved a hat-trick after hitting the post towards the end of the first half, and towards the end of the second, he finally got it. His third goal of the game in the 82nd minute made it 7-0, and the Royals were by this point having quite a bit of fun. Goalkeeper Karn Sahota was given the vacant #22 outfield shirt and told to go up front with less than 10 minutes to play. In the 85th minute, Sahota scored his first goal as a Royal, something few goalkeepers ever get the chance to do. This was the final goal of the match, but the point had been made. The Royals are a major threat in CCAA soccer. 

Douglas now finds themselves two games away from the national championship. They face the Falcons again on Friday in a semi-final matchup, with the winner scheduled to take on the Capilano Blues on Saturday in the PACWEST Championship final.