Royals take all six points in wild weekend

Royals take all six points in wild weekend

In celebration of the United Soccer Coaches' Play with Pride week, all PACWEST soccer teams wore rainbow laces for their matches this weekend.  The Royals women's team was the only PACWEST team to participate last year, but this season, all men's and women's teams in the conference took part. More details on the event, and an interview with Royals assistant coach Kelsey Acaster, can be found here.


The Royals men's soccer team had a huge weekend, winning both matches as they visited the Langara Falcons and hosted the VIU Mariners.


Douglas peppered the goal right from the off, with a ridiculous shot total of fourteen in the match, eight of which were on target. The Falcons were shooting at an even higher volume with seventeen, an enormous amount, but the shots were less accurate with only four on goal.


The scoring was opened by Yianni Siafakas, who would go on to have an excellent weekend. Siafakas scored his first goal of the season 23 minutes into the match to put the Royals up by a goal to nil. Not six minutes later, Quinn Desaulniers struck for his second of the season to double the lead for the Royals. The back and for action continued into the second half as both sides had chance after chance, and it was Siafakas again who sealed the victory with 20 minutes left in the match, as the game finished 3-0.


On Sunday, the scoreline looked much more like a back-and-forth, end-to end game. The Royals were highly effective offensively taking twelve shots, all twelve of which were on target, while the Mariners mustered seven on goal. 


Edris Najm scored just two minutes into the match, setting the tone for the high-octane game to follow. Before the 10th minute had passed, it was Siafakas once again who doubled the lead with his third of the season and third of the weekend. 

VIU's Shun Takano cut the lead in half just after 20 minutes, but before the half was through, Siafakas would add yet another goal to his impressive weekend total to restore the two-goal lead. 


Just over 10 minutes into the second half, Race Williams scored again to remain tied for second in the PACWEST scoring race and seemingly seal the win as the Royals went up 4-1, but the Mariners would not go away. With 15 minutes to play, Taylor Arbour reduced the lead to two goals, and 10 minutes later he struck again, pulling VIU within one. The final 6 minutes were cagey and nervous for the Royals, but Royals keeper Matt Pentland was able to keep out any further attempts as the Royals held on to take a 4-3 win. 


The Royals have just one game this weekend, as they are set to take on the Langara Falcons on the road at 2:30 PM.